Oncology Massage Therapy Helps Patients Relax, Cope, Feel Wellback
Improved Mesothelioma Prognosis, and Other Benefits for Those Living with Cancer
While so-called alternative medical practices are often still ignored when patients are facing or recovering from life-threatening illnesses like cancer, over the last several years patients and practitioners alike have been coming around to a different, more inclusive view of these complementary treatments. One of the most popular and powerful of these treatments is oncology massage therapy.
It’s important to note here that while massage therapy is not a cure for cancer, the healing human touch of Soulstice’s peri-operative and massage therapy can improve the prognosis for mesothelioma, breast cancer, and for other oncology patients fighting many forms of the disease. Oncology massage provides pain relief and relaxation, and can restore a feeling of control over one’s life and health when it feels as if everything else is spinning out of control.
Massage therapy helps heal the profound effects of trauma experienced by cancer patients
When standard treatments cannot give full relief, massage provides the human element of care so critical for helping patients heal and re-engage with the normal activities, routines, and pleasures of their family, work and life. Unfortunately, because the acceptance of complementary treatments is a relatively recent phenomenon in the community of oncology providers, many cancer patients have never had the opportunity to receive massage therapy.
Understandably patients may be apprehensive about its value, or unsure where they can find a qualified massage professional. It is vital to have a massage therapy resource that can be relied upon to provide focused and effective care with a professional attitude.
Oncology Massage is a Specialty with Real Benefits for Patients
Massage therapists are licensed and trained healthcare professionals who provide benefits ranging from overall relaxation to relief of specific types of pain. Oncology massage therapists have undergone even more specialized training to provide benefits to persons living with cancer.
Qualified therapists know that cancer patients have specific needs and certain limitations. These therapists have been trained to use gentle health maintenance massage techniques to provide relief from stress, pain, anxiety, stiffness, nausea, fatigue, and other complaints of living with cancer, and of alleviating the often intense discomfort of the side effects of its treatments.
How Massage Helps Oncology Patients
There are many ways in which oncology massage has been proven to help mesothelioma patients, and others living with, or in recovery from cancer. From reports from individuals to organized academic studies, the proof is overwhelming that massage can provide relief in a number of ways regardless of where you are in your cancer journey:
- Pain relief – Massage therapy is well-known as an integrative, non-pharmaceutical strategy for reducing pain. Cancer patients may experience considerable pain specific to their ailment, and even a small reduction of that pain through massage can make a huge difference in their quality of life. It also reduces dependence on strong painkillers.
- Stress relief – Perhaps the number one reason that anyone seeks out the services of a massage therapist is for stress reduction, a major concern for those living with cancer. Massage can help reduce anxiety before or after a medical procedure, or simply provide necessary overall relief of general stress.
- Reduced nausea – Nausea is one of the most common side effects of chemotherapy, which most cancer patients eventually endure. Massage has been shown to take the edge off this nausea, reducing vomiting and helping to increase appetite and prevent weight loss.
- Energy boost – Fatigue is another major complaint of people living with cancer. Oncology massage is a great option to help get a boost of energy. It is invigorating and helps patients feel rested, soothed, and less fatigued.
- Better mobility – Cancer patients often become less active because they don’t feel well, they have become weaker, and they experience fatigue. Massage therapy can provide enough relief from these symptoms to help patients restore some mobility to to become more active.
Massage Changes Perceptions
Perceptions and beliefs are powerful healing tools. When a cancer patient believes herself to be healthier and more comfortable, she is. A recent study found that when cancer patients were given massage therapy as part of an integrative wellness approach to treatment, they perceived themselves to be healthier. They also reported having an improved quality of life. These powerful impressions are important to the healing process, and to the ability of a cancer patient to still get joy out of living.
If you are a cancer patient, you too can get all the benefits of oncology massage. Ask your doctor first, and then call 303-628-0205 or email Soulstice to set up a meeting with one of our licensed and specially trained oncology massage therapists.